"speak Interlingua with non-Interlingua folks"

Ask questions about Interlingua here

"speak Interlingua with non-Interlingua folks"

Message publicper esra » dom. nov 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Salute,

maybe that discussion could be done in English as well.

Parlar interlingua con non-interlinguistas (interforo.org)

carlosedepaula scribeva:Salute a omnes

Nos omnes sape que interlingua es facilmente comprehendite per parlatores de linguas romanic. Sed io senti que nos exploita troppo poco ille possibilitates.

Dunque, io crea iste thread proque on pote colliger e compartir le situationes in le qual on ha usate interlingua pro comunicar se con non-parlatores de interlingua.

Illos pote esser experientias assatis interessante e digne de compartir.

(iste es mi prime thread, perdona me si io infringe alcun regula)

Amicalmente,
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Messages public: 174
Membro desde: jov. oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: "speak Interlingua with non-Interlingua folks"

Message publicper esra » dom. nov 30, 2014 4:03 pm

In my opinion it needs some presentation object which could be presented during some "road show". Shorten and Interlingua dubbed version of copyleft movie could be that kind of project. So, during some Interlingua road show regarding movie is presented, afterwards some discussion could be started about (spoken) Interlingua inside that movie. I.e. regarding phonetic character of Interlingua; or "Does Interlingua make sense at all the way, that they (=romanic native speaker) understand my spoken Interlingua, but reverse I can not understand their spoken native romanic language" etc.

(proposal)

Amicalmente,
Le ultime vice modificate per esra ven. feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm, modificate 1 vice in total.
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Message publicper bartlett » dom. nov 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Perhaps we need to consider both spoken and written forms of an international auxiliary language. :) For example, although I have acquired most of the audio files for Radio Interlingua, I have had little opportunity to listen to them. For me, Interlingua, however much I esteem it (and I genuinely do), is primarily a written code. (To be honest, I have had a similar experience with that "other" :lol: auxiliary language.) At least here in the USA, even for that "other" language, auxiliary languages are primarily written. So I think we need to take that fact into consideration, and realize that most individuals' initial contact will be with the written form.
bartlett

Messages public: 86
Membro desde: mer. jun 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Message publicper carlosedepaula » lun. dec 01, 2014 4:53 am

You are right. And that's a shame, because I think that interlingua has so much more potential when spoken than that "other" language. It just doesn't happen that often because we are an incipient community and most of the speakers already get by with the languages they know, which not rarely are the control languages and, of course, English.

But that is exactly why I proposed this discussion, to gather stories of those rare occasions where spoken interlingua was actually used to its full potential.

It would be priceless if someone shared us an experience of someone who, being in a romanic country and not speaking its language, struck up some banal tourist-like conversation with locals (like buying bread, asking for information, ordering in a restaurant, whatever). If filmed, it would be incredible.

Salutationes a esra, bartlett e a omnes del forum.
carlosedepaula

Messages public: 11
Membro desde: jov. jun 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Message publicper esra » mar. dec 02, 2014 6:14 am

In my opinion, Interlingua should "provoke" to discuss later about it. Possibilities to do so could be to dub and subtitle some movie, offer interlinear translated texts* (no need to consult dictionary), hopefully other possibilities, too.

*I do some experiments with use of this text.
esra

Message publicper esra » mar. dec 02, 2014 6:30 am

carlosedepaula scribeva:It would be priceless if someone shared us an experience of someone who, being in a romanic country and not speaking its language, struck up some banal tourist-like conversation with locals (like buying bread, asking for information, ordering in a restaurant, whatever). If filmed, it would be incredible.
Well, I agree. But I think naturalistic conlangs only work one way like "non-conlanger can understand me, but I can not understand non-conlanger". I could be wrong but for me i.e. native continental Spanish and Portugese sound not that phonetic like (spoken) Interlingua. I once recognized that during conversation of Julian.
esra

Message publicper carlosedepaula » mar. dec 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes, naturally, both parts should speak really slow and emphatically for the communication to happen, which wouldn't be less interesting. Think about your normal tourist from, let's say, latin america, in the USA. They speak very slowly and also need to be spoken to really slowly, yet communication happens.

The same goes for "portuñol" in Brazil or speaking Spanish in Italy. Not really easy but useful and totally feasible.
carlosedepaula

Message publicper esra » mer. dec 03, 2014 8:17 pm

Maybe some Romanic TeamSpeak or Mumble* channels could be test field for that "Does some Interlingua speaker is capable of establishing adhoc spoken communication with Romanic native speakers?".

(*Interforo.org)

Firefox 34 has in-built WebRTC which is voice or video conferencing feature inside browser without any need to install some add-on software.
esra

Message publicper carlosedepaula » ven. dec 05, 2014 3:27 am

Illo es un bon idea. Sed le problema es crear un motivo pro parlar con celle personas, un necessitate pro tal.

Iste site ha un texto que parla sur un subjecto similar al de iste thread.

http://www.interlingua.com/historia/div ... urismo.htm

A proposito, io recommenda le lectura de omne articulos de iste site, multo interessante.
Le ultime vice modificate per carlosedepaula ven. feb 27, 2015 7:18 pm, modificate 1 vice in total.
carlosedepaula

Message publicper esra » ven. feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

carlosedepaula scribeva:A proposito, io recommenda le lectura le omne articulos de iste site, multo interessante.

In my opinion it needs small crowd of Interlingua user who "run" (means: use spoken) "Interlingua tourist camp" on their own. Personaly I would prefer such action in summer time. Locations could be that kind of like used by E-o youth event folks. For pictures see i.e. FESTO 2014 Pont de Barret; Château de Grésillon (my favourite)

Some documentation which present such kind of mini (family) events (50 to 250 participants). Why it should be possible with E-o only?
esra

Proxime

Retro a(l) Discussion in other languages

Qui es in linea

Usatores qui lege iste foro: Nulle usatores registrate e 2 visitantes