Come to the Interlingua conference in Sweden!

Ask questions about Interlingua here

Come to the Interlingua conference in Sweden!

Message publicper Laurentio » jov. mai 15, 2014 2:45 am

This summer's big Interlingua event takes place July 29th - August 3rd, 2014, at Löftadalens Folkhögskola in Åsa, south of Gothenburg, Sweden.

Travel to Sweden with the whole family and take part in the combined Nordic rally and international conference. Meet friends, learn and speak Interlingua, go on excursions and be inspired to be creative.

Åsa is a popular seaside resort and has about 3,400 inhabitants.

The center, Löftadalens Folkhögskola hosted the Nordic Interlingua rallies in 2000, 2002 and 2004 and the 17th international Interlingua conference in 2005.

The "folkhögskola" (adult education center) is located on a cliff with a beautiful view over the Kattegat between the towns of Kungsbacka to the north and Varberg to the south. Gothenburg - Sweden's second largest city - is located 45 km. to the north.

PRICE per person: 444 EUR (4,000 SEK).

For this you will get: accommodation in a (single) room for five nights with all meals included (starting with lunch on the 29th and ending with lunch on the 3rd), courses for beginners and advanced speakers, beautiful seaside scenery, and last but not least interesting participants from (hopefully!) many countries with whom you can speak Interlingua!

Use the registration form here. You will find a guide on how to fill in the form here. Afterwards, pay the participation fee (see details here).

Below you will find the preliminary program. It may seem to have a lot of items, but rest assured that there will be plenty of time to relax, chat, go sight seeing, and simply enjoy yourself.

You can read more about the conference here (in Interlingua).

See you!
Ask not what you can do for your conlang - ask what your conlang can do for you
Laurentio
cmmiur

Messages public: 264
Membro desde: ven. jun 12, 2009 12:04 am

Program

Message publicper Laurentio » jov. mai 15, 2014 3:10 am

Preliminary program for the
20th International Interlingua Conference / 14th Nordic Interlingua Rally

Duration: July 29th at noon - August 3rd at 1 pm.
Arranged by: Union Mundial pro Interlingua, Svenska Sällskapet för Interlingua, Dansk Interlingua Union, Norsk Interlingua Union, Suomen Interlinguayhdistys
More information: http://www.interlingua.dk/nordic2014

Welcome

Welcome to the big Interlingua event of the summer! We look forward to welcoming the participants to six days of unique experiences in beautiful Sweden. Below you will find a preliminary program.

See you there!

Basic structure

8.00 a.m.: Breakfast
9:00 a.m.-12.00 noon A: Introductory course
9:00 a.m.-10.00 a.m. B: Conversation course
10.00 a.m.-12.00 noon B: Workshops (see p. 5)
12.00 noon: Dinner (hot meal)
1.00 p.m.: "Afternoon coziness" with socializing and leisurely activities. Those workshops that wish to carry on working may do so
2.30 p.m.: Coffee break
3.00 p.m.: Joint sessions (see p. 3)
5.00 p.m.: Supper (cold meal)
(6.30 p.m.: Joint sessions may be continued)
7.00 p.m.: Leisurely evening with entertainment, games, singing and music, etc.

Deviations from this structure may occur due to excursions and other activities according to the wishes of the participants.

Program for the opening day

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

12.00 noon: Dinner (hot meal)
1.00 p.m.: Courses
2.30 p.m.: Coffee break
3.00 p.m.: Welcome and official opening
3.30 p.m.: Presentation of the workshops
5.00 p.m.: Supper (cold meal)
6.00 p.m.: Joint session
7.00 p.m.: Leisurely evening

Evenings
Leisurely activities, socialization, singing, music, performances, quizzes, croquet, board games, etc.

Excursions
We expect to go on several excursions during the week. The destinations have not yet been set but may include the castle of Tjolöholm.

Courses
Course A: Introductory Course (for beginners)
Course B: Conversation Course (for more advanced speakers)

Joint activities

(Tuesday) Welcome and official opening
By Sven Frank, president of UMI, Barbara Rubinstein, President of SSI, and Thomas Breinstrup, president of DIU.

(Tuesday ) Presentation of the workshops
The various projects are presented (see "Workshops" below), to give the participants a better basis for deciding which workshops to take part in.

(Wednesday) Interlingua in Scandinavia
Reports from the Nordic Interlingua organizations

Report from UMI
President of UMI Sven Frank talks about results and planned activities.

Local Interlingua groups - how we do it
Session about the three local Interlingua groups in Scandinavia.

(each day ) Workshop reports
Representatives from the different workshops report on how the work is progressing.

Resolutions
Adoption of two or three resolutions of the conference/rally, that may subsequently be communicated to the press and published on the web.

"How to use Interlingua professionally" by Sven Frank

"How to learn a language in 100 hours by means of hypnosis" by Sven Frank

"A more effective democracy" by Ruud Harmsen

"The history of Interlingua" by Ingvar Stenström

"Music and composition" by Inger Olsson

"Interlingua on the computer" by Thomas Breinstrup
Presentation of useful tools such as electronic dictionaries and spell checkers, and useful sites on the Internet, including Wikipedia in Interlingua.

Travel talk
Participants talk about (and preferably show photos from) interesting destinations they have visited. Please contact us if you wish to present a destination! (15-20 minutes)

Literary café
Be part of an inspiring discussion about interesting Interlingua books and take part in the quiz!

Literary café II
What is *your* favorite book in Interlingua?

(Saturday) Final workshop report
The representatives present the final result of the workshops and describe possible plans for further cooperation.

(Saturday) Closing ceremony

Speakers' corner
Anyone may give lectures on a topic of their own choosing. (If the presentation is expected to last more than 20 minutes, it may be useful to contact the organizers in advance.)

Workshops

Below is a preliminary description of the planned workshops. The workshops take place over several days and you are welcome to join, or switch between, multiple groups. If you have ideas for other workshops, please inform the organizers as soon as possible.

Workshop for beginners (only in the afternoon)
For the novices who wish to spend the early afternoon learning and practicing Interlingua.

Poetry Workshop
We work with poetry and song lyrics in Interlingua, by translating from other languages and also by writing our own original works. Special poetic forms, such as /haiku/ may be explored, and we may delve into the prosaic and try to write short stories. etc.

Musical Workshop
We sing and play together with instruments that we borrow from the school or have brought from home. Beginners can have piano lessons, and the more experienced can jam and learn from each other. We may practice some songs that can we can perform in the evenings or at the party on Saturday night, and maybe we can even write an official conference song.

Translation Workshop
We work with translating texts into Interlingua and help each other find solutions to the "tricky bits". We may continue projects that were started in previous conferences or local groups. This includes translating the UNESCO World Heritage site list, and an Interlingua cookbook and a gastronomic dictionary. We may also work with translating the Basic Interlingua Dictionary (containing the 2500 most frequent words) into other languages.

Pecha Kucha
We make a Pecha Kucha presentation of Interlingua in the language of all the participants. Pecha Kucha is a form of presentation where 20 images are shown for 20 seconds each, while a narrator talks about the topic that the images represent. Pecha Kucha arrangements are held in many cities world wide.

10 articles for Wikipedia in Interlingua
Quick-start guide on how to write articles for the Interlingua version of Wikipedia - the world's leading free and open encyclopedia. Practice your Interlingua writing skills and brush up on your knowledge on various topics at the same time.

10 reasons to use Interlingua (white paper)
Help make a short and easily read white paper of 8-10 A4 pages with a clear description of Interlingua and its potential usefulness for both individuals and businesses.

Interlingua and the natural languages
We explore how Interlingua may provide a greater understanding of the natural languages. Suggested topics:
1) Interlingua and Scandinavian: We explore the foreign words in our own language and learn, by means of Interlingua, what they really mean.
2) Interlingua and English: Same same as in point 1), but with English. This can be a great help in expanding your English vocabulary.
3) Interlingua and the Romance languages: An Interlingua speaker can to a large extent communicate with speakers of the Romance languages, but many words are still different. For example, before going to Spain, it may be useful to know that you should say "cama" instead of "lecto" and "comer" instead of "mangiar". We explore which important words are different in Interlingua and one or more Romance languages.

The grammar of Interlingua
The grammar of Interlingua is easy, but the original "Interlingua grammar" is a bit vague and difficult to understand on certain important points. We discuss the points of doubt and try to find the solution. (Please note that the object is not a revision of the grammar, but a clarification of the existing rules.)

Formation of new words in Interlingua
The introduction to the Interlingua-English Dictionary provides certain rules for the formation of new words in Interlingua, but unfortunately the text is somewhat vague and difficult to understand. We try to obtain a better understanding of the rules, enabling more Interlingua speakers to form new words themselves if they are not already in the dictionary. (Please note that the object is not a revision of the rules, but a clarification of the existing rules.)

Contact the organizers : "info" AxT "interlingua" DxOxT dk (@ ... .) (Or write a reply here!)
Laurentio
cmmiur

Registration form help

Message publicper Laurentio » jov. mai 15, 2014 3:25 am

The registration form is in Interlingua. Here is an English translation:

• Io/nos desira participar: Io/we want to participate:

• Nomine de persona 1 (2, 3, 4): Name of person 1 (2, 3, 4)

• Adresse con numero postal: Address and postal code

• Pais: Country

• Numero telephonic con numeros de pais e zona: Telephone number including your country and area code

• E-posta: Email address:

• Io/nos desira (precio in parenthese es valide post le 15 de maio): I/we want (the price in parentheses is valid after the 15th of May)

• camera singule à 400 EUR (444 EUR): single room at 400 EUR (444 EUR)

• camera duple à 400 EUR (444 EUR): double room at 400 EUR (444 EUR)

• participation sin pernoctation à 220 EUR (245 EUR): participation without accommodation at 220 EUR (245 EUR)

• A pagar ante le 15 de maio 2014: To be paid before May 15th 2014:

• A pagar post le 15 de maio 2014: To be paid after May 15th 2014

• Io/nos expecta arrivar: I/we expect to arrive

• per: by:

• auto: car

• omnibus: bus

• traino: train

• avion: plane

• Partita: We expect to depart

• Io/nos es vegetariano(s)/diabetico(s): We are vegetarians/diabetics

• Indica le numero de personas pro cata categoria, per favor: Please indicate the number of vegetarians and diabetics in your party.

• Nomine del persona qui ha plenate le formulario: Name of the person who has filled out this form:

• Data: Date:
Laurentio
cmmiur

How to pay

Message publicper Laurentio » jov. mai 15, 2014 3:29 am

After filling out the form, you pay the fee by bank transfer. Here is the payment information:

Codice: Selectionar toto
▪ SWIFT- BIC: NDEA SESS
▪ IBAN: SE 6995 0000 9960 2604 741419 (NB! Do not write any spaces between the groups of numbers)
▪ Owner: Svenska Sällskapet för Interlingua, c/o E. Kangas, Solbergagat.3, SE-553 33 Jönköping, Svedia
Le ultime vice modificate per admin jov. mai 15, 2014 5:28 am, modificate 1 vice in total.
Ration: in->out
Laurentio
cmmiur

Re: Come to the Interlingua conference in Sweden!

Message publicper bartlett » jov. mai 15, 2014 9:34 pm

These posts with this information are very good. :) Some of this information also appeared in recent issues of "Panorama in Interlingua." The sad fact is that those of us who live in North America or other distant parts of the globe may not be able to afford (or have the opportunity) to travel to Europe for such conferences. Some of us non-Europeans may esteem Interlingua highly, but due to lack of opportunity, the language primarily remains a written code, not a living reality. :?
bartlett

Messages public: 86
Membro desde: mer. jun 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Message publicper Laurentio » dom. mai 18, 2014 3:54 am

bartlett scribeva:These posts with this information are very good. The sad fact is that those of us who live in North America or other distant parts of the globe may not be able to afford (or have the opportunity) to travel to Europe for such conferences.Some of us non-Europeans may esteem Interlingua highly, but due to lack of opportunity, the language primarily remains a written code, not a living reality.

Hi Paul!

I'm glad you like the posts. :)

Yes, I see what you mean about the conferences. But it doesn't have to be a solely written code in this day and age of skype and other voice chat programs.

Speaking of which, there is going to be some kind of larger scale skype session or sessions with other Interlingua speakers during the rally, so hopefully you and many others can participate in that.

I'm really not sure why we don't use these tools more than we do, for instance by holding regular voice chat sessions. Some times I get the feeling that we "Interlinguistas" (and I am certainly including myself in this!) aren't generally very good at communicating, which is ironic.

On that note, I want to apologize for ending our "mais" discussion last fall so abruptly! (I was about to start writing a ba thesis and was getting very stressed, and I've never been good at keeping more than one ball in the air at a time, so to speak!)
Laurentio
cmmiur

Message publicper esra » dom. mai 18, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks Laurentio to translate that event description into English. To attract younger folks it could be useful to offer big room for low budget participants (mass accommodation). At another conlang event I even had seen that people put 3 person dom tent into such big room to get some privacy. Ear plugs should be available, too. Dom tents stands alone, they don't need to be fixed to the ground. Because of that it also can be used inside rooms. I believe most low budget travellers own doom tents. To avoid scratches on the ground some kind of ground cover seems necessary.
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Messages public: 174
Membro desde: jov. oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Message publicper bartlett » dom. mai 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Laurentio scribeva:Yes, I see what you mean about the conferences. But it doesn't have to be a solely written code in this day and age of skype and other voice chat programs.

Speaking of which, there is going to be some kind of larger scale skype session or sessions with other Interlingua speakers during the rally, so hopefully you and many others can participate in that.

I'm really not sure why we don't use these tools more than we do, for instance by holding regular voice chat sessions. Some times I get the feeling that we "Interlinguistas" (and I am certainly including myself in this!) aren't generally very good at communicating, which is ironic.

Yes, there can be usable modern tools, although some of us "older folks" ;) might have trouble with them. (I have never used Skype and do not even know how it works.) Also, there could be the matter of highly varying levels of ability. For example, I can read Interlingua fairly well, but except for a few programs of Radio Interlingua, I have never heard it spoken. (I have all of them, but have only listened to a few.) Even then I had serious trouble understanding the speakers. (As an older person with deteriorating hearing, I occasionally have difficulty understanding my native spoken English.) If I were to try to speak coherent sentences in Interlingua, I would probably make a complete fool of myself. As highly as I esteem the language, for me it is still primarily a one-way (i.e., read only) written code.
bartlett

Message publicper Laurentio » mer. mai 21, 2014 3:47 am

esra scribeva:Thanks Laurentio to translate that event description into English. To attract younger folks it could be useful to offer big room for low budget participants (mass accommodation). At another conlang event I even had seen that people put 3 person dom tent into such big room to get some privacy. Ear plugs should be available, too. Dom tents stands alone, they don't need to be fixed to the ground. Because of that it also can be used inside rooms. I believe most low budget travellers own doom tents. To avoid scratches on the ground some kind of ground cover seems necessary.

Thanks, Esra! :-)

You've got a good point about cheaper accommodation. It should definitely be a consideration when planning future events. It's probably too late to arrange this kind of thing now, but there may possibly be a certain discount for young participants (note the words "may" and "possibly" - it's not something that has actually been decided!)
Laurentio
cmmiur

OT: Re: Come to the Interlingua conference in Sweden!

Message publicper bartlett » mer. mai 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Slightly off-topic.

bartlett scribeva:If I were to try to speak coherent sentences in Interlingua, I would probably make a complete fool of myself. As highly as I esteem the language, for me it is still primarily a one-way (i.e., read only) written code.

If others on the forum will excuse me, I decided to respond to one point in my own earlier post, even though this message is actually somewhat off topic regarding the conference in Sweden. Nevertheless it still relates to Interlingua.

Many people who have been interested in (constructed) international auxiliary languages probably (very highly probably) have familiarity with Esperanto, and possibly even some degree of expertise in it. Whether we like it or not, Esperanto is the "300 kilo gorilla in the room" of conIALs. I do not consider myself proficient, but I can read it reasonably well. (To write anything in it I need to do a lot of vocabulary lookup.)

Being something of a "dabbler" in languages (to some degree or other I have studied French, Latin, classical Greek, and various conIALs, and have some familiarity with linguistics in general), I find that I tend to mix them up in my mind in a sort of hash. If I try to write anything in Interlingua, an Esperanto word or phrase pops into mind. If I try to write anything in Esperanto, sometimes Interlingua intrudes. (These are the only two of any consequence for me, although I am familiar with other conIALs.) Also, due to lack of frequent active use, I have trouble retaining active vocabulary.

I speculate that others interested in the auxiliary language issue may have similar experiences, although the degree to which it is significant will obviously differ from person to person. That is in part why I wrote that I would probably make a fool of myself if I tried actually to speak Interlingua at all, as much as I highly esteem the language. I suppose that I ought to pick one or the other and stick with it, seting the other gently and humanely aside. However, I can think of respectable and serious arguments on behalf of both.
bartlett

Proxime

Retro a(l) Discussion in other languages

Qui es in linea

Usatores qui lege iste foro: Nulle usatores registrate e 2 visitantes