IA spell-checker (LibreOffice)

Ask questions about Interlingua here

IA spell-checker (LibreOffice)

Message publicper esra » dom. aug 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Salute,

UMI did anounce new spell-checker for use with LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

That spell-checker only contains 2,500 words which are part of Interlingua - dictionario basic. Idea behind is to create texts in I-A which mainly contain most used I-A words. I-A words not listed in Interlingua - dictionary basic should marked with footnotes pointed translations.

Amicalmente,
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Messages public: 174
Membro desde: jov. oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: IA spell-checker (LibreOffice)

Message publicper bartlett » dom. aug 25, 2013 6:50 pm

I have downloaded OpenOffice.org (now called Apache OpenOffice), although I rarely use it, having little need. (My computer usage is simple.) Nevertheless, spell checker files are extremely valuable. I don't know how this works. Does it deal with common inflected forms, such as noun plurals or verb pasts, futures, conditionals, and participles? There are other, larger Interlingua wordlists, such as an online copy of the IED itself and Paul Denisowski's large (>30000) Interlingua - English file (which, however, contains a lot of useful IA phrases, not just individual words). Presumably those could be manipulated into a form that the generator could use. Given a little time, I could create a list from one of those, but I don't know how the actual spell checker file is compiled into internal format. (I suppose the information is available online.)

Amicalmente,
Paul
bartlett

Messages public: 86
Membro desde: mer. jun 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Message publicper bartlett » lun. aug 26, 2013 6:26 pm

A follow-up. Yesterday it took me only a short time using simple tools to create several computer files from an electronic copy of the IED and Paul Denisowski's wordlist. The main issue is inflected forms (verbs and noun plurals) and derived adverbs. Given a little time, I may be able to create a sort of master list of Interlingua words from which I suppose a technically adept person could create a spellcheck file.

Amicalmente ad omnes,
Paul
bartlett

Message publicper esra » lun. aug 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Salute Paul,

sorry about but I don't have skills to help with that technical spell-checker issues. Maybe Julian can help? Or, Carlos Soreto mentioned like developer of regarding spell-checker seems to be active at INTERLNG#LISTSERV+ICORS+ORG, too.

Amicalmente,
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Message publicper bartlett » lun. aug 26, 2013 9:53 pm

As I mentioned, I may need some time to create a master list. I have several "raw" files, but not necessarily every word in each file exactly corresponds to precisely that word class (part of speech), so some manual editing may be necessary, and given the size of the files, that may take some time. For instance, I have generated a file of almost 3000 words each ending in -ar, but that does not mean that every one of them is a verb with that ending from which to generate inflected forms. There is still work to do.

Amicalmente ad omnes,
Paul
bartlett

Message publicper esra » dom. sep 01, 2013 9:22 am

Salute Paul,

could be proper idea to make IA word list conform to data set rules of LanguageTool project. Its special project for spell-checking tools including Libre-/OpenOffice and Firefox. LanguageTool also supports "fuzzy" grammar check facilities.

Amicalmente,
esra

Message publicper bartlett » dom. sep 01, 2013 6:20 pm

I will take a look when I have an opportunity. I have not done anything further recently, as partly I have busy with other matters and partly I have not been feeling entirely well all the time.

Amicalmente ad omnes,
Paul
bartlett

Retro a(l) Discussion in other languages

Qui es in linea

Usatores qui lege iste foro: Nulle usatores registrate e 5 visitantes