Interforo baits to use Interforo's forum facilities

Ask questions about Interlingua here

Interforo baits to use Interforo's forum facilities

Message publicper esra » mer. jul 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Salute,

maybe somebody already knows. There excists website concept in detail Lernu.net to learn conlang Esperanto. In my opinion Wiki static teach material of Lernu.net acts like some kind of bait to use forum facilities of Lernu.net. So, it could be worth to discuss to do something similar with Interforo.org means to accompany flexible forum content with some static Wiki content. Would it be possible to add some MediaWiki wiki facility to current PhpBB facilities?

Currently I digitize an teaching course of Andre Schild. I intend to translate it later into English. Its "only" 30 A4 hardcopy print pages to proceed. In my opinion that course once translated into English could be very useful bait to attract people who are interested in Interlingua matters that they use forum facilities of Interforo. So maybe that way Interforo could get some more activities inside.

In my opinion Schild's course is perfect appetizer to inform first with Interlingua. It doesn't contain some kind of learning story which could discourage some people. I.e. Gopsill's "Interlingua Today" I see very sceptical because in my opinion teaching material of Interlingua Today contains some kind of gender stereotypes which could upset regarding audiences. I.e. page 16 "Phillipa non vole jocar, proque illa vole travaliar in le cocina con seniora Dobson". etc. Of course creating some learning story which satisfies everybody could be difficult to accomplish. Generaly some bait which is able to appetize learning Interlingua should be free at least free of gender stereotypes.

What do you think?

Amicalmente,
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Messages public: 174
Membro desde: jov. oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Interforo baits to use Interforo's forum facilities

Message publicper Laurentio » dom. jul 14, 2013 3:03 am

Salute, esra!

I think it's a very interesting idea!

Of course there are loads of material on lernu, and creating something similar to that would be an enormous task. But it would be interesting to do on a minor scale.

To begin with, it would be good to have a section in English (and other languages if possible) with general info and courses and so on. It's certainly possible to have mediawiki facilities on the site in a different subfolder, i suppose it's then just a question of linking to it from the forum page (and vice versa).

If you would like to make your translation of Schild's course available here, that would of course be most welcome! :)

Of course it would be nice to get the copyright question sorted out first. I know someone who knows a lot about copyright and I could try asking him.

Btwn, I noticed you had written a message in Interlng asking about this. Did you ever get a reply from somebody from UMI?

About the gender stereotype thing: I haven't read Interlingua Today, but I once read a different Interlingua course which was an adaptation of an Esperanto or Ido course from the 50's or 60's and it contained similar gender stereotypes which irked me a bit.

If one is to publish an old course today I think it's probably a good idea to rewrite it a bit to make it conform to our modern standards. :)

But on the other hand, I don't think a language course (or other texts) should aim to satisfy everybody. That would be an impossible task. There's always someone who might be offended by something. And a good story can make language learning more fun.

An example is Ingvar Stenström's interlingua course (Interlingua - Instrumento Moderne ...) where the protagonist is a young man named Hugo who learns Interlingua in order to "score" a young woman. The narrative focuses on him, and he is the active party and driving force of the story, while she is rather passive. Some people might find this offensive today, but still, I thought it was the best and most entertaining language course I have ever read.

Of course, if at any point of the story Hugo had said: "Go out into the kitchen and make me a sandwich, woman!" or something of the like, I would have thought that was going to far!
Ask not what you can do for your conlang - ask what your conlang can do for you
Laurentio
cmmiur

Messages public: 264
Membro desde: ven. jun 12, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Interforo baits to use Interforo's forum facilities

Message publicper esra » dom. jul 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Laurentio scribeva:To begin with, it would be good to have a section in English (and other languages if possible) with general info and courses and so on. It's certainly possible to have mediawiki facilities on the site in a different subfolder, i suppose it's then just a question of linking to it from the forum page (and vice versa).

I believe that was similar the way Lernu started in 2002.

Laurentio scribeva:If you would like to make your translation of Schild's course available here, that would of course be most welcome! :)

First pieces are already available. But I will change ebook editing facilities. Maybe I have to start from the beginning again. I will see how I can get around with Docmenta Single Source Publishing.

digitalization & translation of Curso de Interlingua

Laurentio scribeva:Of course it would be nice to get the copyright question sorted out first. I know someone who knows a lot about copyright and I could try asking him.
I didn't find any copyright information inside the original publication. Scan results (jpeg files) can be found same Google Sites location I mention above. Maybe I missed some of copyright information?

Laurentio scribeva:Btwn, I noticed you had written a message in Interlng asking about this. Did you ever get a reply from somebody from UMI?

Yes, I already did sent email to Sven F. (UMI) and wait for reply.

Laurentio scribeva:About the gender stereotype thing: I haven't read Interlingua Today, but I once read a different Interlingua course which was an adaptation of an Esperanto or Ido course from the 50's or 60's and it contained similar gender stereotypes which irked me a bit.

I once used Esperanto course material for children which also contains for me strange gender roles.

Laurentio scribeva:If one is to publish an old course today I think it's probably a good idea to rewrite it a bit to make it conform to our modern standards. :)

Yes, indeed. :-) But theres learning concept behind which first needs to be fully understood. It needs to be discussed in public which parts could be rewritten without destroying original learning concepts of that teach course materials.

Laurentio scribeva:But on the other hand, I don't think a language course (or other texts) should aim to satisfy everybody. That would be an impossible task. There's always someone who might be offended by something. And a good story can make language learning more fun.

Yes, for sure. In my mind I already hold that idea of some Jungle/ Drum & Bass music style MC talk about Interlingua grammar. (example). I already have "Zwiegespräch" (self-dialogue) story in mind. But there should be also some more analytical overall content which lets someones browse quickly through features of Interlingua and whats all about. To write good learn story, learn song, learn MC talk it needs analytical overall content first.

Laurentio scribeva:An example is Ingvar Stenström's interlingua course (Interlingua - Instrumento Moderne ...) where the protagonist is a young man named Hugo who learns Interlingua in order to "score" a young woman. The narrative focuses on him, and he is the active party and driving force of the story, while she is rather passive. Some people might find this offensive today, but still, I thought it was the best and most entertaining language course I have ever read.

I should that course give a new try. I don't remember in detail why I skipped at first try. In my opinion first touch learner bests suits course material written with learners native language. Sure thats difficult to serve. But more course material written in English could be first step to bait for Interlingua.

Laurentio scribeva:Of course, if at any point of the story Hugo had said: "Go out into the kitchen and make me a sandwich, woman!" or something of the like, I would have thought that was going to far!

Well, I only tried to point to some tendency of 50/60ies course material which contain gender role view points which annoys me somewhat more bad hinders my motivation to follow-up with that regarding course.

Amicalmente,
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Messages public: 174
Membro desde: jov. oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Retro a(l) Discussion in other languages

Qui es in linea

Usatores qui lege iste foro: Nulle usatores registrate e 2 visitantes