digitalization & translation of Curso de Interlingua

Ask questions about Interlingua here

Re: (bait) digitalization & translation of Curso de Interlin

Message publicper bartlett » dom. sep 08, 2013 1:45 am

Thank you for responding. You wrote, "So, I will follow up with focus on A5 paper hardcopy prints using LibreOffice software." For an international audience, please be aware that there are differences between European and American paper sizes. (I think Canada also uses American paper sizes, although I am not sure about that.) The exact dimensions of A5 I don't know, but I do know that European A4 and the corresponding American paper size, called US Letter, have different dimensions. (US Letter equals 216 x 279 mm, wider side to side but shorter top to bottom.) Sometimes European writers will format documents for A4 and put footers, such as page numbers, almost on the bottom of the page. When we North Americans try to print out the documents on our wider but slightly shorter paper, it does not print correctly. The thing for Europeans to do when formatting documents for a world wide audience is to leave some extra space at the bottom for the sake of North Americans who might try to print the documents. I am not sure of the dimensions of A5, so I am not sure what to say about that paper size.
bartlett

Messages public: 86
Membro desde: mer. jun 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Message publicper esra » dom. sep 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Ahm, okay. Thanks to mention that. By default regarding LibreOffice template does set A5 Europe to 14,8 cm x 21 cm framed 2 cm side clearance. Page numbers are located on top inside the footer space.

Seems to be that LibreOffice's default stylesheets are useful for A4 only. Modification of that stylesheets according A5 font size shows crazy results in layout. Furthermore I also failed to find out how to enable numbering of the headings. Generaly I find it not very transparent to follow how stylesheet system of LibreOffice (and MS Office ones, too) works in detail. Anyway, most parts of former work with EPUB file format using Sigil I can reuse inside LibreOffice.

Amicalmente,
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Messages public: 174
Membro desde: jov. oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Message publicper bartlett » dom. sep 08, 2013 6:58 pm

As I understand things, A5 is just A4 folded in half, so to speak. In the USA we have no exact standard paper size like that. Our US Letter folded in half would be about 140 x 216 mm, although we do not often print that way except single sheets. LibreOffice I am not familiar with, so I do not know how it arranges templates. (I have Apache OpenOffice, which is similar, but I do not often use it.) I am supposing that all these word processing programs allow one to set margins. It would only be a matter of allowing sufficient side, top, and bottom margins so that everyone could print without losing anything. Unfortunately European and (North) American practices may be just different enough to cause some awkwardness for any efforts to accommodate everyone at the same time.

Amicalmente ad omnes,
Paul
bartlett

Message publicper esra » dom. sep 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for your hints. Yes, now I realize that paper setting to A5 makes not that overwhelming sense. I will change format back to A4 with 2 cm margin spaces. A4 paper size seems to be most popular one in Germany, too. With handy A5 I had in mind to order hardcopy print out at some shop which often in Germany called "Copy Shop or Copy Center". But even there they mostly offer paper sizes A4 and bigger. There are dozen of such shops in my town. Someones can do bring into pdf file on some pendrive for print out and they also do binding of that hardcopy print out bundle for acceptable low budget price (around 10 ct per page at A4 laser print out plus around 4 € per binding).
Radio Pruno projects: IA-DE translation of Dictionario basic (2,500 parolas) & digitalization of Interlingua kompakt (both under construction)
esra

Message publicper bartlett » dom. sep 08, 2013 10:35 pm

With sufficient top and bottom margins, A4 is not a problem, because US Letter is wider. Thus it does not make any difference what the side margins are. However, our paper is 18 mm shorter top to bottom, so a 2 cm margin at the bottom could be a problem for North Americans (US and Canada) to print out on our own. Some printers cannot use the paper exactly to the very bottom, which could cause a page footer (or even a bottom line of print) to be lost or to print out all by itself on the next page, which would otherwise be blank. Please note that I am referring *only* to electronic documents made available, which an individual would print out for himself on his own equipment, and not to printed documents. (If anyone is wondering why our paper is different, it is exactly 8,5 inches x 11 inches, which are round numbers.)

Amicalmente ad omnes,
Paul
bartlett

Message publicper esra » lun. sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Okay, I see.

I think about to scan whole course again with more higher dpi resolution which could facilitate OCR capabilities. I'm not satisfied with result of last OCR processing. Last time I did process OCR I did forget to set input language to French which also let recognize that apostrophe characters which Schild used to mark stress of IA vocabulary.

Amicalmente,
esra

Re: digitalization & translation of Curso de Interlingua

Message publicper esra » ven. dec 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Salute,

whole material were new scanned and ocr processed into LibreOffice Writer *.odt file format. I decided to review German explanation parts of ocr output first. I named that excerpt work "Andre Schild: Interlingua kompakt". Later I will review Interlingua sample text parts. I still feel steady motivated to translate that work into English afterwards. If you already feel to do English translation before, no worries, feel free to do so. The laurel wreath will be yours ;-)

interlingualingvo (Radio Pruno)

Amicalmente,
esra

Message publicper bartlett » ven. dec 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Others, of course, speak for themselves. I could not do anything with originals in Italian or German, as I do not speak those languages (despite being at least half German by ancestry). I used to know French fairly well, but I have not used it in years, so my competence has declined.

Amicalmente ad omnes,
Paul Bartlett
bartlett

Message publicper esra » jov. jan 02, 2014 12:13 pm

I also will use knowledge of A.S.'s Interlingua kompakt to translate subtitle of Valkaama. Depending on how it goes I will translate parts of A.S.'s Interlingua kompakt into English if they seem to relate to grammar rules of regarding subtitle parts.
esra

Message publicper esra » lun. jan 06, 2014 3:49 pm

LibreOffice seems to have problems to open some *.ODT files of OCR output. Regarding *.ODT files are not damaged. They work very well with Apache OpenOffice.
esra

PrevieProxime

Retro a(l) Discussion in other languages

Qui es in linea

Usatores qui lege iste foro: Nulle usatores registrate e 1 visitante